[doc8] future development and maintenance

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 18 12:58:34 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 17:10 +0100, Stephen Finucane wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 12:01 +0100, Sorin Sbarnea wrote:
> > It seems that the doc8 project is lacking some love, regardless the
> > fact that is used by >90 projects from opendev.org.
> >
> > https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:x/doc8
> >
> > Last merge and release was more than 2 years ago and no reviews were
> > performed either.
> >
> > I think it would be in our interest to assure that doc8 maintenance
> > continues and that we can keep it usable.
> >
> > I would like to propose extenting the list of cores from the current
> > 4 ones that I already listed in CC with 3 more, so we can effectively
> > make a change that gets merged and later released (anyone willing to
> > help?)
> >
> > If current cores agree, I would be happy to help with maintenance. I
> > estimate that the effort needed would likely be less than 1h/month in
> > longer term. If there is a desire to move it to github/travis, I
> > would not mind either.
>
> I'd be tentatively interested in helping out here, though it's not as
> if I don't already have a lot on my plate :)
>
> I wonder if this might have better success outside of OpenStack,
> perhaps in the sphinx-doc or sphinx-contrib GitHub repo?

Following up on this, the PyCQA organisation on GitHub have kindly
accepted our request to move doc8 there [1]. I'd like to start with the
paperwork of moving this across shortly and work with infra to get PyPI
and the likes configured. However, if anyone has any objections to this
plan please making them known now.

Cheers,
Stephen

[1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/code-quality/2019-July/001112.html