Instructions for spooling up an instance

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 17 20:45:27 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-17 12:48:53 -0700 (-0700), Clark Boylan wrote:
[...]
> With your image build you can preinstall all of the software you
> need (and configure it too). You can also configure disk
> partitioning. The tool the OpenDev Infra team uses this for all of
> our test node images and some of our control plane images is
> called diskimage-builder [0]. This tool can partition images using
> both mbr and gpt tables.
[...]

I gather there's another popular alternative, which is to boot a
server instance with an ISO of an operating system installer image
attached, use that to configure the supplied root disk and install
software into it, then shut that down and create a snapshot of the
resulting instance's rootfs to boot additional instances from. It's
a more traditional analog to how you'd do server installation in
classic non-cloudy environments, but some folks still seem to prefer
it over creating images of fully-working servers and then uploading
those. That said, I'd recommend sticking to using/modifying
officially provided "cloud" images from the distros you want since
they do some useful things like wiping system identifiers and host
keys so that they're regenerated independently on each new instance
booted from them (if you don't remember to do that on your custom
images you can run afoul of support licensing contracts or create
unnecessary security risks).
--
Jeremy Stanley