[TripleO] Scaling node counts with only Ansible (N=1)

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 12:25:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 3:23 AM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 7/16/19 12:26 AM, Steve Baker wrote:

> >> What I mean to say is that I think the way we are integrating nova-less
> >> by first deploying the servers, to then provide the data to Heat to
> >> create the resource groups as we do today becomes backwards when your
> >> work on N=1 is introduced.

> >> Yes, this is what I think we should do. Especially if your changes here
> >> removes the resource group entirely. It makes more sense to create the
> >> stack, and once that is created we can do deployment, scaling etc
> >> without updating the stack again.
> >
> > I think this is something we can move towards after James has finished this
> > work. It would probably mean deprecating "openstack overcloud node provision"
> > and providing some other way of running the baremetal provisioning in isolation
> > after the heat stack operation, like an equivalent to "openstack overcloud
> > deploy --config-download-only"
> >

> I'm very much against on deprecating "openstack overcloud node provision", it's
> one of the reasons of this whole effort. I'm equally -2 on making the bare metal
> provisioning depending on heat in any way for the same reason.

I think what's being proposed here is just that we'd change the
ordering of the workflow in that we'd do the Heat stack first.

That being said, I see the lack of dependency working both ways.
Baremetal provisioning should not depend on Heat, and Heat should not
depend on baremetal provisioning. You should be able to create the
Heat stack without the servers actually existing (same as you can do
today with pre-provisioned nodes).

--
-- James Slagle