[TripleO] Scaling node counts with only Ansible (N=1)

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 12:21:32 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 7:29 AM Harald Jensås <hjensas at redhat.com> wrote:

> As soon as the nova server resources are removed from a stack the
> server and ctlplane port will be deleted. We loose track of which IP
> was assigned to which server at that point.
>
> I believe the plan in nova-less is to use the "protected" flag for
> Ironic nodes to ensure the baremetal node is not unprovisioned
> (destroyed). So the overcloud node will keep running. This however
> does'nt solve the problem with the ctlplane port being deleted. We
> need to ensure that the port is either not deleted, or that a new port
> is immediately created using the same IP address as before. If we don't
> we will very likely have duplicate IP issues on next scale out.

Heat provides a supported interface mechanism to override it's
built-in resource types. We in fact already do this for both
OS::Nova::Server and OS::Neutron::Port. When we manage resources of
those types in our stack, we are actually using our custom plugins
from tripleo-common. We can add additional logic there to handle this
case and define whatever we want to have happen when the resources are
deleted from the stack.

This would address that issue for both N=1 and nova-less.

--
-- James Slagle