[Manila] CephFS deferred deletion

Ramana Venkatesh Raja rraja at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 07:19:37 UTC 2019

Re-sending the email as it didn't get posted in the ML.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 6:45 PM Tom Barron <tpb at dyncloud.net> wrote:

> On 12/07/19 13:03 +0000, Jose Castro Leon wrote:
> >Dear all,
> >
> >Lately, one of our clients stored 300k files in a manila cephfs share.
> >Then he deleted the share in Manila. This event make the driver
> >unresponsive for several hours until all the data was removed in the
> >cluster.
> >
> >We had a quick look at the code in manila [1] and the deletion is done
> >first by calling the following api calls in the ceph bindings
> >(delete_volume[1] and then purge_volume[2]). The first call moves the
> >directory to a volumes_deleted directory. The second call does a
> >deletion in depth of all the contents of that directory.
> >
> >The last operation is the one that trigger the issue.
> >
> >We had a similar issue in the past in Cinder. There, Arne proposed to
> >do a deferred deletion of volumes. I think we could do the same in
> >Manila for the cephfs driver.
> >
> >The idea is to continue to call to the delete_volume. And then inside a
> >periodic task in the driver, asynchronously it will get the contents of
> >that directory and trigger the purge command.
> >
> >I can propose the change and contribute with the code, but before going
> >to deep I would like to know if there is a reason of having a singleton
> >for the volume_client connection. If I compare with cinder code the
> >connection is established and closed in each operation with the
> >backend.
> >
> >If you are not the maintainer, could you please point me to he/she?
> >I can post it in the mailing list if you prefer
> >
> >Cheers
> >Jose Castro Leon
> >CERN Cloud Infrastructure
> >
> >[1]
> >https://github.com/openstack/manila/blob/master/manila/share/drivers/cephfs/driver.py#L260-L267
> >

> >[2]
> >https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/pybind/ceph_volume_client.py#L700-L734
> >

> >[2]
> >https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/pybind/ceph_volume_client.py#L736-L790
> >

> >PS: The issue was triggered by one of our clients in kubernetes using
> >the Manila CSI driver
>
> Hi Jose,
>
> Let's get this fixed since there's a lot of interest in Manila CSI
> driver and I think we can expect more batched deletes with it than we
> have had historically.

The plan is to have manila's CephFS driver use the ceph-mgr's new
volumes module,
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/pybind/mgr/volumes/module.py
to create/delete manila groups/shares/snapshots,
authorize/de-authorize access to the shares. Manila shares,
essentially CephFS subdirectories with a specific data layout and
quota, are referred to as FS subvolumes, and Ceph filesystems as FS
volumes in the ceph-mgr volumes module.

The ceph-mgr volumes modules is under active development. The latest
Ceph CSI (v1.1.0) release is the first consumer of this module. The
Ceph CSI issues CLI calls to the ceph-mgr to manage the lifecycle of
the FS subvolumes,
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-csi/pull/400

We're implementing the asynchronous purge of FS subvolumes in the
ceph-mgr module. The PR is close to being merged,
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/28003/
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/28003/commits/483a2141fe8c9a58bc25a544412cdf5b047ad772
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/40036
Issuing the `ceph fs subvolume rm` command in the Ceph CSI driver (and
later in the manila driver) will move the FS subvolume to a trash
directory, whose contents will be asynchronously purged by a set of
worker threads.

> I've copied Ramana Raja and Patrick Donnelly since they will be able
> to answer your question about the singleton volume_client connection
> more authoritatively than I can.

Currently, in the mgr-volumes module we establish and close connection
to a FS volume (a Ceph filesystem) for each FS subvolume (CephFS
subdirectory within the filesystem) operation,
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/28082/commits/8d29816f0f3db6c7d287bbb7469db77c9de701d1#diff-cfd3b6f517caccc18f7f066395e8a4bdR174

Instead, we want to maintain a connection to a FS volume and perform
operations on its subvolumes, until the FS volume is deleted. This
would reduce the time taken to perform subvolume operations, important
in CSI work loads (and in OpenStack workloads?). The code is in
review,
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/28003/commits/5c41e949af9acabd612b0644de0603e374b4b42a

Thanks,
Ramana