[TripleO] Scaling node counts with only Ansible (N=1)

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 18:25:34 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 2:13 AM Harald Jensås <hjensas at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> stack, and once that is created we can do deployment, scaling etc
> without updating the stack again.
>
> > > Currently the puppet/role-role.yaml creates all the network ports
> > > etc.
> > > As you only want to create it once, it instead could simply output
> > > the
> > > UUID of the networks+subnets. These are identical for all servers
> > > in
> > > the role. So we end up with a small heat stack.
> > >
> > > Once the stack is created we could use that generic "server" role
> > > data
> > > to feed into something (ansible?, python?, mistral?) that calls
> > > metalsmith to build the servers, then create ports for each server
> > > in
> > > neutron, one port for each network+subnet defined in the role. Then
> > > feed that output into the json (hieradata) that is pushed to each
> > > node
> > > and used during service configuration, all the things we need to
> > > configure network interfaces, /etc/hosts and so on. We need a way
> > > keep track of which ports belong to wich node, but I guess
> > > something
> > > simple like using the node's ironic UUID in either the name,
> > > description or tag field of the neutron port will work. There is
> > > also
> > > the extra filed in Ironic which is json type, so we could place a
> > > map
> > > of network->port_uuid in there as well.
> >
> > It won't matter whether we do baremetal provisioning before or after
> > the Heat stack. Heat won't care, as it won't have any expectation to
> > create any servers or that they are already created. We can define
> > where we end up calling the metalsmith piece as it should be
> > independent of the Heat stack if we make these template changes.
> >

> This is true. But, in your previous mail in this thread you wrote:
>
> """
> Other points:
>
> - Baremetal provisioning and port creation are presently handled by
> Heat. With the ongoing efforts to migrate baremetal provisioning out
> of Heat (nova-less deploy), I think these efforts are very
> complimentary. Eventually, we get to a point where Heat is not
> actually creating any other OpenStack API resources. For now, the
> patches only work when using pre-provisioned nodes.
> """
>
> IMO "baremetal provision and port creation" fit together. (I read the
> above statement so as well.) Currently nova-less creates the ctlplane
> port and provision the baremetal node. If we want to do both baremetal
> provisioning and port creation togheter (I think this makes sense), we
> have to do it after the stack has created the networks.
>
> What I envision is to have one method that creates all the ports,
> ctlplane + composable networks in a unified way. Today these are
> created differently, the ctlplane port is part of the server resource
> (or metalsmith in nova-less case) and the other ports are created by

This is my main question about this proposal. When TripleO was in its
infancy, there wasn't a mechanism to create Neutron ports separately from
the server, so we created a Nova Server resource that specified which
network the port was on (originally there was only one port created, now we
create additional ports in Neutron). This can be seen in the
puppet/<role>-role.yaml file, for example:

resources:
  Controller:
    type: OS::TripleO::ControllerServer
    deletion_policy: {get_param: ServerDeletionPolicy}
    metadata:
      os-collect-config:
        command: {get_param: ConfigCommand}
        splay: {get_param: ConfigCollectSplay}
    properties:
[...]
      networks:
        - if:
          - ctlplane_fixed_ip_set
          - network: ctlplane
            subnet: {get_param: ControllerControlPlaneSubnet}
            fixed_ip:
              yaql:
                expression: $.data.where(not isEmpty($)).first()
                data:
                  - get_param: [ControllerIPs, 'ctlplane', {get_param:
NodeIndex}]
          - network: ctlplane
            subnet: {get_param: ControllerControlPlaneSubnet}

This has the side-effect that the ports are created by Nova calling Neutron
rather than by Heat calling Neutron for port creation. We have maintained
this mechanism even in the latest versions of THT for backwards
compatibility. This would all be easier if we were creating the Neutron
ctlplane port and then assigning it to the server, but that breaks
backwards-compatibility.

How would the creation of the ctlplane port be handled in this proposal? If
metalsmith is creating the ctlplane port, do we still need a separate
Server resource for every node? If so, I imagine it would have a much
smaller stack than what we currently create for each server. If not, would
metalsmith create a port on the ctlplane as part of the provisioning steps,
and then pass this port back? We still need to be able to support fixed IPs
for ctlplane ports, so we need to be able to pass a specific IP to
metalsmith.

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Senior Principal Software Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/cloud