[qa][ptg][nova][cinder][keystone][neutron][glance][swift][placement] How to make integrated-gate testing (tempest-full) more stable and fast

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Sun Jul 7 13:41:50 UTC 2019

 ---- On Tue, 28 May 2019 22:21:44 +0900 Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote ----
> [...]
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  Idea:
 >  >  >  - Run only dependent service tests on project gate.
 >  >  >  - Tempest gate will keep running all the services tests as the integrated gate at a centeralized  place without any change in the current job.
 >  >  >  - Each project can run the below mentioned template.
 >  >  >  - All below template will be defined and maintained by QA team.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  I would like to know each 6 services which run integrated-gate jobs
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  1."Integrated-gate-networking" (job to run on neutron gate)
 >  >  >   Tests to run in this template: neutron APIs , nova APIs,  keystone APIs ? All scenario currently running in tempest-full in the same way ( means non-slow and in serial)
 >  >  >  Improvement for neutron gate: exlcude the cinder API tests,  glance API tests, swift API tests,
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  2."Integrated-gate-storage" (job to run on cinder gate, glance gate)
 >  >  >  Tests to run in this template: Cinder APIs , Glance APIs, Swift APIs, Nova APIs and All scenario currently running in tempest-full in the same way ( means non-slow and in serial)
 >  >  >  Improvement for cinder, glance gate: excluded the neutron APIs tests, Keystone APIs tests
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  3. "Integrated-gate-object-storage" (job to run on swift gate)
 >  >  >  Tests to run in this template: Cinder APIs , Glance APIs, Swift APIs and All scenario currently running in tempest-full in the same way ( means non-slow and in serial)
 >  >  >  Improvement for swift gate: excluded the neutron APIs tests, - Keystone APIs tests, - Nova APIs tests.
 >  >  >  Note: swift does not run integrated-gate as of now.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  4. "Integrated-gate-compute" (job to run on Nova gate)
 >  >  >  tests to run is : Nova APIs, Cinder APIs , Glance APIs ?, neutron APIs and All scenario currently running in tempest-full in same way ( means non-slow and in serial)
 >  >  >  Improvement for Nova gate: excluded the swift APIs tests(not running in current job but in future, it might), Keystone API tests.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  5. "Integrated-gate-identity" (job to run on keystone gate)
 >  >  >  Tests to run is : all as all project use keystone, we might need to run all tests as it is running in integrated-gate.
 >  >  >  But does keystone is being unsed differently by all services? if no then, is it enough to run only single service tests say Nova or neutron ?
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  6. "Integrated-gate-placement" (job to run on placement gate)
 >  >  >  Tests to run in this template: Nova APIs tests, Neutron APIs tests + scenario tests + any new service depends on placement APIs
 >  >  >   Improvement for placement gate: excluded the  glance APIs tests, cinder APIs tests, swift APIs tests, keystone APIs tests

I have prepared the new template for integrated gate testing[1] and tested in DNM patch [2].
You can observe ~20 min less time on new jobs(except compute one). But the main thing is will improve
the stability of gate.

Once they are merged, I will propose the patch to replace those template on the projects gate.

NOTE: Along with APIs tests, I have back listed  the non-dependent scenario tests also.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:refactor-integrated-gate-testing+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/669313/

-gmann