[placement] db query analysis

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Jul 5 13:53:24 UTC 2019

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019, Jay Pipes wrote: >> Related to that, I've started working on a nested-perfload at >> https://review.opendev.org/665695 > > Please note that there used to be fewer queries performed in the allocation
> candidate and get resource provider functions. We replaced the giant SQL
> statements with multiple smaller SQL statements to assist in debuggability
> and tracing.

Yeah, I recall that and think it was the right thing to do, but now
we've reached a point where we've got limited choices for how to eke
out some more performance, which we're going to need to do to be
reasonable in > 10,000 node environments.

Being me I'm inclined towards things like infinite resource classes,
vector math, and "PUT IT ALL IN RAM !!!!!" but luckily its not up to
just me.

freenode: cdent