[ironic] Hardware leasing with Ironic

Pierre Riteau pierre at stackhpc.com
Wed Jan 30 16:47:09 UTC 2019

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 at 16:28, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> wrote:

> (sorry for the dupe, failed to reply all the first time around)
>
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 11:15 AM Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:
>>
>> Would Blazar provide much of this functionality? I think it only talks Nova at the moment.
>

> Thanks for the pointer. I'll take a closer look at Blazar, because in my head it was restricted to Nova resource reservations, but perhaps it can extend beyond that.  From another perspective, if we can convince Nova to hand out access to unprovisioned baremetal hosts, that might make this more of an option.

Hi Lars,

Blazar currently only supports reservation of nodes via Nova. It isn't
yet compatible with Ironic nodes managed by Nova, because of the lack
of support for host aggregates for Ironic. We have a plan to fix this
using placement aggregates instead.

However, Blazar is extendable, with a plugin architecture: a baremetal
plugin could be developed that interacts directly with Ironic. This
would allow leveraging the existing lease management code in Blazar.
As an example, the Blazar project team has been busy this cycle
implementing reservations of Neutron resources (floating IPs and
network segments) [1].

Giving direct provisioning access to users means they will need BMC
credentials and access to provisioning networks. If more isolation is
required, you might want to take a look at HIL from the Mass Open
Cloud [2]. I haven't used it but I have read one of their paper and it
looks well-thought-out.

Pierre

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/basic-network-plugin+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
[2] https://massopen.cloud/blog/project-hil/