[TripleO] containers logging to stdout

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 12:37:21 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 5:53 AM Juan Antonio Osorio Robles <
jaosorior at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>

> In Queens, the a spec to provide the option to make containers log to
> standard output was proposed [1] [2]. Some work was done on that side,
> but due to the lack of traction, it wasn't completed. With the Train
> release coming, I think it would be a good idea to revive this effort,
> but make logging to stdout the default in that release.
>
> This would allow several benefits:
>
> * All logging from the containers would en up in journald; this would
> make it easier for us to forward the logs, instead of having to keep
> track of the different directories in /var/log/containers
>
> * The journald driver would add metadata to the logs about the container
> (we would automatically get what container ID issued the logs).
>
> * This wouldo also simplify the stacks (removing the Logging nested
> stack which is present in several templates).
>
> * Finally... if at some point we move towards kubernetes (or something
> in between), managing our containers, it would work with their logging
> tooling as well

Also, I would add that it'll be aligned with what we did for Paunch-managed
containers (with Podman backend) where each ("long life") container has its
own SystemD service (+ SystemD timer sometimes); so using journald makes
total sense to me.
--
Emilien Macchi