[TripleO] containers logging to stdout

Juan Antonio Osorio Robles jaosorior at redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 10:49:26 UTC 2019

Hello!

In Queens, the a spec to provide the option to make containers log to
standard output was proposed [1] [2]. Some work was done on that side,
but due to the lack of traction, it wasn't completed. With the Train
release coming, I think it would be a good idea to revive this effort,
but make logging to stdout the default in that release.

This would allow several benefits:

* All logging from the containers would en up in journald; this would
make it easier for us to forward the logs, instead of having to keep
track of the different directories in /var/log/containers

* The journald driver would add metadata to the logs about the container
(we would automatically get what container ID issued the logs).

* This wouldo also simplify the stacks (removing the Logging nested
stack which is present in several templates).

* Finally... if at some point we move towards kubernetes (or something
in between), managing our containers, it would work with their logging
tooling as well.

Any thoughts?

[1]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/tripleo-specs/specs/queens/logging-stdout.html