[qa][tempest] Waiting for interface status == ACTIVE before checking status

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Jan 25 01:27:41 UTC 2019

---- On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 07:09:26 +0900 Terry Wilson <twilson at redhat.com> wrote ----
 > In the networking-ovn project, we hit this bug *very* often:
 > https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1728600. You can see the
 > logstash here where it has failed 330 times in the last week:
 > http://logstash.openstack.org/#dashboard/file/logstash.json?query=message%3A%5C%22AssertionError%3A%20%5B%5D%20is%20not%20true%20%3A%20No%20IPv4%20addresses%20found%20in%5C%22
 >
 > The bug has been around since 2017, and there are earlier reports of
 > it than that. The bug happens in some projects outside of
 > networking-ovn as well.
 >
 > At the core of the issue is that _get_server_port_id_and_ip4 loops
 > through server ports to return ones that are ACTIVE, but there is a
 > race where a port could become temporarily inactive if the ml2 driver
 > continually monitors the actual port status. In the case we hit,
 > os-vif started recreating the ovs port during an operation, so we
 > would detect the status of the port as down and change the status, and
 > then when the port is recreated we set the port status back to up. If
 > the check happens while the port is down, the test fails.

But is this by design or bug that Active port on Active VM can flip to down.
Waitinthe g for already active and bounded port to become active again after
we got the Active server is not right things to test.

As Sean also pointed that in patch that we should go for the approach of
"making sure all attached interface to server is active, server is sshable
 bthe efore server can be used in test" [1]. This is something we agreed
 in Denver PTG for afazekas proposal[2].

If we see the  from user perspective , user can have an Active VM with
active port which can flip to down in between of that port usage. This seems bug to me.

[1] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/600046
[2] - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/handling-of-interface-attach-detach-hotplug-unplug

I have also commented on patch, sorry for delaying the review on that.

-gmann