[cinder] volume snapshot on queens not working as in ocata

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Wed Jan 23 15:58:46 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 03:55:17PM +0100, Ignazio Cassano wrote:
> Hello All,
> I have tow different openstack installations: ocata and queens.
> On both I have the same cinder sorage based on netapp via nfs.
> If I run the following steps on ocata, it works fine:
>

> | status                                     |
> error                                |
> | updated_at                                 |
> 2019-01-23T08:59:03.000000           |
> | volume_id                                  |
> 12bc6248-b624-4fb0-81f2-c1f986c4697c |
> +--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>
> Any help, please ?
>
> Ignazio

There is most likely an issue between Cinder and the backend storage device.

You may be able to get some details by using the 'cinder message-list' and
'cinder message-show' command line:

https://docs.openstack.org/python-cinderclient/latest/cli/details.html#cinder-message-list

If that does not provide a reasonable message at least pointing to where the
problem is (which we should probably see if we can improve) then you will
likely need to go to the cinder-volume log files. If you search in there, there
will probably be traceback messages or other errors indicating why the snapshot
failed.

Sean