[all][oslo][coordination] remove method get_transport in transport.py

Herve Beraud hberaud at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 18:40:33 UTC 2019

Hello everybody!

Since few months oslo plan to remove an deprecated method
(oslo_messaging.get_transport).

In a first this method was deprecated to facilitate removing rpc_backend
support, get_transport aliases was deprecated to simplify the code and the
tests. Aliases were first depreacted in oslo.messaging 5.20.0 during Pike
and now we want to definitely remove this method.

The support of this aliases was planed to be remove during milestone
stein-1.

So I propose to all projects who use this deprecated method to start to
move to the right oslo.messaging supported transport methods
(get_rpc_transport or get_notification_transport depends on your needs).

This thread will try to coordinate projects during migrator.

I already submit a patch[1] to oslo.messaging to start to remove this
method.

To move forward on this topic I personaly plan to propose patchs to
projects that I know that use it.

To ensure a better removing, to be sure that all projects remove usages of
this method, and to merge in the right order, I propose to you to use the
same topic in your gerrit reviews by using refer the bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+bug/1714945 in your commit
(Related-Bug: #1714945).

Please ensure that all your projects stop to use this method.

If you facing an issue please reply to this thread to centralize support
during the migrator.

You can track this topic by visiting this page:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1714945+(status:open+OR+status:merged)

[1] https://review.openstack.org/632523

Cheers!
Best!