About gitignore policy.

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 17:35:29 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-01-22 at 17:29 +0000, Sean Mooney wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-01-22 at 15:32 +0000, Sorin Sbarnea wrote:
> > We are talking about policies not fundamental laws of the universe.
> >
> > Policies are created in order to simplify decisions based on previous history, so clearly there were projects that
> > existed before this policy was introduced.
> >
> > Try to look at it via pragmatic approach: this policy tries to avoid a never ending list of reviews related to local
> > files. -- for good reasons, people have the freedom to use whatever editor they want. So what if everyone is writing
> > his own editor with his own editor config files to be ignore?
> >
> > This is why such a policy was created. Obviously it appeared after it was observed and I am sure there are lots of
> > projects that do have .gitignore files that do not "pass" this policy.
> >
> > Don't waste time trying to solve it, it does not worth the time.... you may endup like "someone is wrong on the
> > internet". ;)
> >
> > harmony sounds nice on paper but in real life is impossible (or at least impractical) to achieve.
> >
> > If someone mentions it during a review, accept it and add the exception to your user .gitingore file.
>
> so i personally am in the camp of just merge patches for trivial change like this when they are proposed
> but also as you said you can just set these in you users ~/.gitignore too.
by the way your user level git ignore is at this location by default $HOME/.config/git/ignore
if you want to use a ~.gitgnore you need to override that default. using
~/.gitignore is generally not ideal if you are one of those people that like to commit there
home directory to git to be able to easily version contol it.
anyway i hope that helps.