About gitignore policy.

Natal Ngétal natal at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 14:12:53 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I would to have more information about the .gitignore file policy.
First I have made a patch to ignore backup files from vim editor. The
patches was refused because that doesn't respect the OpenStack policy:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/631790/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/631789/

The policy is available in a cookiecutter template repository:

https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/cookiecutter/tree/%7b%7bcookiecutter.repo_name%7d%7d/.gitignore?id=da86f5e042cbe069166d71809d50dea4c8b6aed0

Then I have started to make patch, to align OpenStack projects with this policy:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/632086/

In nova project the patch was refused, the first reason was we have
already talk about this subject. The second reason was this policy is
only for the new projects. Oslo is not a new project and is follow
this policy.

I know is not a priority subject, but I just want understand. For me a
policy must be followed by all projects, to harmonize all, but maybe I
wrong. For example, in this case, I would to know what is the rules?
The new projects must follow the policy but not the old ones? In this
case, what the rules for old projects and can we defined also an
policy for it? Thanks in advance for your help.

My best regards