[nova][ops] Problems disabling notifications on state changes

Massimo Sgaravatto massimo.sgaravatto at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 07:42:15 UTC 2019

I am disabling ceilometer on my OpenStack Ocata cloud.

As fas as I understand, besides stopping the ceilometer services, I can
also apply the following changes to nova.conf on the compute nodes:

instance_usage_audit = True --> false
notify_on_state_change = vm_and_task_state --> None

I have a problem with the latter change:

# grep ^notify_on_state_change /etc/nova/nova.conf
notify_on_state_change=None

but in the nova log:

2019-01-21 08:31:48.246 6349 ERROR nova ConfigFileValueError: Value for
option notify_on_state_change is not valid: Valid values are [None,
vm_state, vm_and_task_state], but found 'None'

I have also tried setting

notify_on_state_change=<None>

but it complains that it is not a valid value

I can simply comment that line, but I am afraid there is a problem somewhere

Thanks, Massimo