[tc] [all] Please help verify the role of the TC

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 17 23:58:21 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-17 14:20:10 -0600 (-0600), Ben Nemec wrote:
[...]
> Reading the document, it seems to me that it describes less a
> "Technical" Committee and more a "Governance" Committee.
[...]

I mused similarly some time back (in an ML post I'm having trouble
finding now) that I consider the choice of naming for the "technical
committee" unfortunate, as I see our role being one of community
management and arbitration. Section 4.13.b.i of the OSF bylaws
describes the responsibilities and powers of the TC thusly:

"The Technical Committee shall have the authority to manage the
OpenStack Project, including the authority to determine the scope of
the OpenStack Technical Committee Approved Release..." (the latter
is specifically with regard to application of the OpenStack
trademark for products)

https://www.openstack.org/legal/bylaws-of-the-openstack-foundation/

So I guess a lot of it comes down to how we interpret "manage" in
that context. If you don't see the TC as the appropriate body to
provide governance for the OpenStack project, then who do you think
should take that on instead?

Section 4.1.b.i of the bylaws mentions that "management of the
technical matters relating to the OpenStack Project [...] shall be
managed by the Technical Committee" and also "management of the
technical matters for the OpenStack Project is designed to be a
technical meritocracy" but doesn't go into details as to what it
means by "technical matters" (beyond deciding what qualifies for
trademark use). It seems to me that by delegating
subproject-specific technical decisions to team leaders elected from
each subproject, and then handling decisions which span projects
(the technical vision document, project teams guide, cycle goals
selection, et cetera), we meet both the letter and the spirit of the
duties outlined for the OpenStack Technical Committee in the OSF
bylaws. But as noted, a lot of this hinges on how people take the
somewhat fuzzy terms above in the context with which they're given.
--
Jeremy Stanley