[tc] [all] Please help verify the role of the TC

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 17 16:33:51 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-17 20:41:49 +1300 (+1300), Zane Bitter wrote:
[...]
> I'm not sure we need to speculate, because as you know the TC and
> PTLs literally were the same thing prior to 2014-ish.
[...]

Minor historical notes: the role now occupied by the TC was
originally filled by a governance body known as the Project
Oversight Committee which then later became the Project Policy Board
(PPB). A description of our pre-foundation technical governance can
still be found undisturbed and rotting in our wiki at the moment,
should you be in the mood for a bit of light reading:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/OldModel

The PPB was replaced by (but essentially renamed to) the Technical
Committee in September 2012, as required in appendix 4 of the bylaws
for the then-newly-formed OpenStack Foundation (note that the text
there defining the initial TC election is slated for removal in the
bylaws amendment currently up for a vote of the individual members):
https://www.openstack.org/legal/technical-committee-member-policy/

The very first two TC elections did still include PTLs who had
guaranteed TC seats:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/TCElectionsFall2012
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TC_Elections_Spring_2013

But the subsequent election in late 2013 switched to the
free-for-all model we've come to know today with the adoption of the
new TC Charter:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TC_Elections_Spring_2013

Now I'm wondering whether we should form an OpenStack Historical
Preservation Society. ;)
--
Jeremy Stanley