[tc] [all] Please help verify the role of the TC

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Jan 15 17:17:49 UTC 2019

Friction between PTL's/projects and cross project work is not a new thing. It has been a major issue for OpenStack almost since inception.

There were some hurtles I had when trying to make any progress on cross project work that ultimately caused me to give up. (I'll make some generalizations here... not saying everyone has these issues)

* PTL's (and the whole project really) tend only to look at their corner of the OpenStack and not so much how their project fits into the greater picture.
* PTL's have been good about discussing cross project issues when directly raised, but push back that their project should be part of the solution. The other project is always the better place to solve it, or a new project should solve it. That needs to stop being the go to answer.
* PTL's don't go out and actively look where their project does not play so well in the grater OpenStack. They focus on solving their own problems. This leads to architecture that work for a project but fails for the overall OpenStack.

* The way code gets into a project mostly involves getting enough capital (reviews) on a given project to get attention when needed. But cross project work doesn't get you enough capital in enough specific projects to ever really progress. There needs to be a cross project review score or something that says, this dev is working on cross project goals and submitting work of that type. give attention to their pr's because their work is important too! PTL's could prioritize this kind of work.

So, I kind of like the idea that PTL's need to focus more on the whole, not just their own project, so that they can help lead in the right directions. Right now each project is going in its own directions without much thought to the whole.

I'm not trying to blame the folks I've interacted with in the PTL role. They have by and large  been very helpful. But the Role of PTL, as well as the TC, have not enabled significant progress on the cross project issues due to these gaps. Maybe part of the solution is tweaking the responsibilities of the PTL's to focus more on cross project issues.

Thanks,
Kevin