[tc] [all] Please help verify the role of the TC

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 17:04:02 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-01-15 at 16:52 +0000, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> Ah. Thanks for the clarification. You raise some interesting questions.
>
> Lets explore a bit. Like you, I have no idea what the right solution is. just thinking out loud.
>
> "What if the TC and PTLs were the same thing?"  One risk of making them the same is what
> I was talking about before. But what about one way association rather then both ways?
> something like "All PTL's have a seat on the TC and are required to attend meetings if
> possible"? That would allow the PTL's to have a voice in the TC, to know what's going on at
> the greater level and more easily feed back such info to the projects? It also would not
> block non ptl's from having a voice too if elected. It might be easier to make decisions that effect
> all the projects?
>
> Would something like that have the effect you were thinking?
>
> You mention that there might not be time for PTL's to do both things. Is there a scope of
> what a PTL does somewhere we could look at? Maybe some of the scope could be moved to
> a different role to enable the TC stuff? A co-PTL or something?
minor comment on this point, PTL are already playing typically 3 roles that of the PTL and that of a core reviewer
and often that of an indivigual contributor. i do like the idea of PTLs haveing a voice on the TC but
it may be asking a lot for them to take on 4th role in paralle to the 3 they already have. so rather
then mandate that a PTL must attend if they can they could be given an optional seat with the ablity to deleaget
that to another core memember. simliar to project/release liasons each project could have a TC liason that
can default to the PTL or anoter core team memeber that they nominate to take there place?