[tc] [all] Please help verify the role of the TC

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 15 15:30:41 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-15 11:01:09 +0000 (+0000), Chris Dent wrote:
[...]
> Then I implied that the TC cannot do anything like actionable and
> unified technical leadership because they have little to no real
> executive power and what power they do have (for example, trying to
> make openstack-wide goals) is in conflict (because of the limits of
> time and space) with the goals that PTLs (and others) are trying to
> enact.
[...]

Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much, but are you thinking
that PTLs have any more executive power than TC members? At least my
experience as a former PTL and discussions I've had with other PTLs
suggest that the position is more to do with surfacing information
about what the team is working on and helping coordinate efforts,
not deciding what the team will work on. PTLs (and TC members, and
anyone in the community for that matter) can direct where they spend
their own time, and can also suggest to others where time might be
better spent, but other than the ability to prevent work from being
accepted (for example, by removing core reviewers who review
non-priority changes) there's not really much "executive power"
wielded by a PTL to decide on a project's direction, only influence
(usually influence gained by seeking consensus and not attempting to
assert team direction by fiat decree).
--
Jeremy Stanley