[tc] [all] Please help verify the role of the TC

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 22:12:39 UTC 2019

Hello :)

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:30 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2019-01-14 14:16:51 -0600 (-0600), Sean McGinnis wrote:
> [...]
> > I could see having something where to be an eligible candidate,
> > one would either need to be a current or a past PTL. There's
> > definitely value in bringing that experience and perspective to
> > the TC.
> [...]
>
> In principle, our charter doesn't even require candidates for TC
> seats be recognized contributors to any project, only that they be
> OSF individual members in good standing. In practice, the most
> common way people get the visibility required to be elected to the
> TC is to have already held another leadership role in the community,
> frequently by serving as a PTL.

There are many other leadership positions that we would exclude if we
started restricting TC candidates to only current/past PTLs. SIG Chairs
(formerly WG leads) for example.

Some sort of leadership role prior to running is important, I agree. But we
would never have had people like Colleen Murphy or Chris Dent who were and
are, respectively, excellent members of the TC.

> While I haven't actually done the
> math, I would wager more than half the people ever elected to the TC
> have also been PTLs at some point, so I personally have doubts that
> making it a policy would actually change anything.
>
> A quick skim of the current sitting TC members, I believe 12 out of
> 13 are either presently or were formerly also PTLs.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

-Kendall (diablo_rojo)