[congress][infra] override-checkout problem

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Jan 11 12:57:39 UTC 2019

Hi Eric,

This seems the same issue happening on congress-tempest-plugin gate where
'congress-devstack-py35-api-mysql-queens' is failing [1]. python-congressclient was
not able to install  and openstack client trow error for congress command.

The issue is stable branch jobs on congress-tempest-plugin  does checkout the master version for all repo
instead of what mentioned in override-checkout var.

If you see congress's rocky patch, congress is checkout out with rocky version[2] but
congress-tempest-plugin patch's rocky job checkout the master version of congress instead of rocky version [3].
That is why your test expectedly fail on congress patch but pass on congress-tempest-plugin.

Root cause is that override-checkout var does not work on the legacy job (it is only zuulv3 job var, if I am not wrong),
you need to use BRANCH_OVERRIDE for legacy jobs.  Myself, amotoki and akhil was trying lot other workarounds
to debug the root cause but at the end we just notice that congress jobs are legacy jobs and using override-checkout :).

I have submitted the testing patch with BRANCH_OVERRIDE for congress-tempest-plugin queens job[4].
Which seems working fine, I can make those patches more formal for merge.

Another thing I was discussing with Akhil that new tests of builins feature need another feature flag
(different than congressz3.enabled) as that feature of z3 is in stein onwards only.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/618951/
[2] http://logs.openstack.org/70/629070/4/check/congress-devstack-api-mysql/87474d7/logs/pip2-freeze.txt.gz
[3] http://logs.openstack.org/51/618951/3/check/congress-devstack-api-mysql-rocky/23c0214/logs/pip2-freeze.txt.gz
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:fix-stable-branch-testing+(status:open+OR+status:merged)