[tc] [all] Please help verify the role of the TC

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Jan 10 14:14:38 UTC 2019

Recently Thierry, with the help of other TC members, wrote down the
perceived role of the TC [1]. This was inspired by the work on the
"Vision for OpenStack Clouds" [2]. If we think we should have that
document to help validate and direct our software development, we
should have something similar to validate governance.

Now we need to make sure the document reflects not just how things
are but also how they should be. We (the TC) would like feedback
from the community on the following general questions (upon which
you should feel free to expand as necessary).

* Does the document accurately reflect what you see the TC doing?
* What's in the list that shouldn't be?
* What's not in the list that should be?
* Should something that is listed be done more or less?

Discussions like these are sometimes perceived as pointless navel
gazing. That's a fair complaint when they result in nothing changing
(if it should). In this case however, it is fair to say that the
composition of the OpenStack community is changing and we _may_ need
some adjustments in governance to effectively adapt. We can't know
if any changes should be big or little until we talk about them. We
have several weeks before the next TC election, so now seems an
appropriate time.

Note that the TC was chartered with a mission [3]:

     The Technical Committee (“TC”) is tasked with providing the
     technical leadership for OpenStack as a whole (all official
     projects, as defined below). It enforces OpenStack ideals
     (Openness, Transparency, Commonality, Integration, Quality…),
     decides on issues affecting multiple projects, forms an ultimate
     appeals board for technical decisions, and generally has
     technical oversight over all of OpenStack.

Thanks for your participation and help.

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/role-of-the-tc.html
[2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/technical-vision.html
[3] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/charter.html#mission