[tripleo] Re: [infra] NetworkManager on infra Fedora 29 and CentOS nodes

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 23:26:24 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 09:02:57AM -0700, Alex Schultz wrote:
> Don't suppose we could try this with tripleo jobs prior to cutting
> them all over could we?  We don't use NetworkManager and infact
> os-net-config doesn't currently support NetworkManager.  I don't think
> it'll cause problems, but I'd like to have some test prior to cutting
> them all over.

It is possible to stage this in by creating a new NetworkManager
enabled node-type.  I've proposed that in [1] but it's only useful if
you want to then follow-up with setting up testing jobs to use the new
node-type.  We can then revert and apply the change to regular nodes.

By just switching directly in [2], we can quite quickly revert if
there should be an issue.  We can immediately delete the new image,
revert the config change and then worry about fixing it.

Staging it is the conservative approach and more work all round but
obviously safer; hoping for the best with the escape hatch is probably
my preferred option given the low risk.  I've WIP'd both reviews so
just let us know in there your thoughts.

Thanks,

-i

[1] https://review.openstack.org/629680
[2] https://review.openstack.org/619960