[dev][tc][ptl] Evaluating projects in relation to OpenStack cloud vision

Jay Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:43:12 UTC 2019

Julia and Chris,

Thanks for putting this together.  Wanted to share some thoughts in-line
below:

On 1/4/2019 9:53 AM, Julia Kreger wrote:
> As some of you may or may not have heard, recently the Technical
> Committee approved a technical vision document [1].
>
> The goal of the technical vision document is to try to provide a
> reference point for cloud infrastructure software in an ideal
> universe. It is naturally recognized that not all items will apply to
> all projects.

The document is a really good high level view of what each OpenStack
project should hopefully conform to.  I think it would be good to get
this into the Upstream Institute education in some way as I think it is
something that new contributors should understand and keep in mind.  It
certainly would have helped me as a newbie to think about this.

<snip>

> We envision the results of the evaluation to be added to each
> project's primary contributor documentation tree
> (/doc/source/contributor/vision-reflection.rst) as a list of bullet
> points detailing areas where a project feels they need adjustment to
> better align with the technical vision, and if the project already has
> visibility into a path forward, that as well.

</snip>

Good idea to have teams go through this.  I will work on doing the above
for Cinder.

Jay