Per-VM CPU & RAM allocation?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 20:05:08 UTC 2019

On 1/4/2019 1:45 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hi!  If I go into the UI, I can easily see how much each VM is allocated
> for RAM and CPU.  However, I've googled until I'm blue in the face, and
> can't seem to see a way -- either through CLI or API -- to get that
> info.  "nova limits --tenant <foo>" SEEMS like it should... except (at
> least on my Juno cloud), the "used" column is either full of zeros or
> dashes.  Clearly, if it's in the UI, it's possible... somehow.  But it
> seemed like it might be easier to ask the list than go down the rabbit
> hole of tcp captures.

You might be looking for the os-simple-tenant-usages API [1]. That is
per-tenant but the response has per-server results in it.

If you were on something newer (Ocata+) you could use [2] to get
per-instance resource allocations for VCPU and MEMORY_MB.

I'm not sure what the UI is doing, but it might simply be getting the
flavor used for each VM and showing the details about that flavor, which
you could also get (more reliably) with the server details themselves
starting in microversion 2.47 (added in Pike).

[1]
https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/?expanded=show-usage-statistics-for-tenant-detail#show-usage-statistics-for-tenant
[2]
https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/placement/?expanded=list-allocations-detail#list-allocations