[Heat][Octavia] Is autoscaling feature missing?

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 02:45:13 UTC 2019

On 21/12/18 1:00 AM, Viktor Shulhin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to create Heat template with autoscaling and loadbalancing.
> I didn't find any similar Heat template examples.
> Individually, loadbalancing and autoscaling work well, but loadbalancing
> OS::Octavia::PoolMember can be added only manually.
> Is there any way to use OS::Heat::AutoScalingGroup as server pool for
> loadbalancing?

Yes. The trick is that the thing you're using as the scaled unit in the
Autoscaling group should not be just an OS::Nova::Server, but rather a
Heat stack that contains both a server and an OS::Octavia::PoolMember.

The example that Rabi linked to shows how to do it. Note that you need
both of these files:

https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/blob/master/hot/autoscaling.yaml
https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/blob/master/hot/lb_server.yaml

cheers,