nimble PyPI status

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu Feb 28 23:00:48 UTC 2019

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, at 2:27 PM, Devin Shanahan wrote:
> Dear maintainer of nimble:
>
> I am reaching out since you are listed as a maintainer of nimble
> <https://pypi.org/project/nimble/> on PyPI. I am currently working on a
> project and we are exploring releasing our distribution under the same
> name.
>
> Our project is a library of data science and machine learning tools. It
> has been under development and used internally at our company for 7
> years, and we are now considering providing it as an open-source
> project. Nimble is a metaphor for our team's vision for the project,
> and we would very much prefer to use that exact name on PyPI over a
> similar, but more complicated name, that could cause confusion.
>
> Since PyPI shows that nimble has not had a new release or been updated
> since August 10, 2016, I would like to know if you would be willing to
> relinquish the name, nimble, so that we could provide our project in
> that namespace on PyPI. It's a simple process and if you are willing to
> do this, we would be extremely grateful. I also completely understand
> if this is not something that you are willing to do, or if I have
> misinterpreted the status of nimble and it is in fact in active
> development.
>
> I would really appreciate hearing your reply either way, whether or not
> you would be willing to consider transferring ownership of nimble over
> to us.
>
> Thank you very much for your time.
>
> Devin

I've CC'd the original creator of this project on our end to do our best to make sure they see this request.  I think it would be best if Zhenguo Niu can respond with an answer and if they don't have a problem with this I can help facilitate the swap if necessary.

If we aren't able to get a response within a reasonable amount of time (say 7-10 days?) we can review it without their input and go from there.

Hope this helps,
Clark