[all] [forum] Forum Submissions are open!

Erik McCormick emccormick at cirrusseven.com
Wed Feb 27 23:51:49 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 5:31 PM Jimmy McArthur <jimmy at openstack.org> wrote:

> Sean,
>
> Sean McGinnis February 27, 2019 at 4:08 PM
>
> To be clear, the issue isn't needing help writing up the submission. So great
> if someone can attend or watch for topics coming up that can be pulled out into
> Forum ideas, but the crux is that there are a lot of things discussed at these
> events and it may take several days after it is over to realize, "hey, that
> would be really useful if we could discuss that at the Forum."
>
> Totally understood. That's why we're suggesting to put a few (I counted five Ops specific Forum talks in Berlin) placeholder sessions in for Ops with a couple of high level sentences, to be defined later.  We're happy to help update the Forum suggestions after y'all have had a chance to parse Meetup outcomes into Forum topics that makes sense.

OK, I surrender. I submitted 3 generic topics (as that's my limit) as
placeholders for topics TBD. Additionally, Chris Morgan will submit
two long-standing regular sessions for Ceph-related topics and the Ops
Meetup Team gathering sometime soon. If I need to do anything else
with them right now, please let me know.

> I don't think what Erik asked for is unreasonable. The Ops Meetup event is
> exactly the target we want feeding into Forum discussions. If we can give a
> week after the event for the Ops Meetup ends for this processing to happen, I
> think we increase the odds of an effective and useful Forum.
>
> I understand the POV, but keep in mind we're also trying to program against many other interests and we have deadlines that we have to reach with regards to getting comms out to the rest of the community.  We've extended the deadline by two days, which I hope will give the Ops Community enough time to parse the info from the Meetup into a few bite-size bits that we can use as placeholders on the schedule, with details TBD.

I put in the placeholders and am happy to update them if you can show
me how. I won't know the bite-sized tidbits until I get back and talk
to those who were not in attendance. We are short quite a number of
regular attendees for this one due to other conflicts and it being an
expensive week to be in Berlin. I hope this is acceptable.

> I want to re-emphasize, Kendall and I are happy to help in any way possible on this. If you want to pass along some napkin notes, we can do help get those into the schedule :) It's critical that we provide at least a straw man schedule to the community as early as possible, so we can identify conflicts and travel considerations for our attendees.

In future, we would love to know cutoff dates as soon as you know what
they are. We don't have a lot of control over exact dates of the
meetup as it's based primarily on the availability of the host
organization. However, if it comes soon enough we can try to influence
the date and plan for it as best we can.

I would also be curious to hear from anyone who is basing their travel
choices on the approval status of a Forum session. I believe that this
number is 0, but I'm ready to be proven wrong.

> Thanks,
> Jimmy
>

> Can we please extend that deadline out a few more days to make sure we get this
> valuable input?
>

> Sean
> Kendall Nelson February 27, 2019 at 3:57 PM
> Hello :)
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 1:26 PM Chris Morgan <mihalis68 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think the issue is that forum submissions building on what gets discussed in Berlin can't be expected to be finalised whilst attendees to the berlin meetup are still traveling. It's not that Erik can't pull these things together, in fact he's an old hand at this, it's more that this process isn't reasonable if there's so little time to collate what we learn in Berlin and feed it forward to Denver. Frankly it sounds like because the planning committee needs 5 weeks, Erik can have two days. Seem unfair.
>

> Honestly, the decision process doesn't take much time, aside from organizing a time that all 10 people can meet across x timezones (a thing unto itself). Its the community feedback period, giving people enough time to secure travel approval from their management, loading the sessions into the actual schedule app, and other print deadlines that force us to have everything set this far out.
>
> I will definitely help the ops community in whatever way I can! Do you have remote attendance set up for the meetup?

We have no capacity for remote attendees other than etherpads. I'm
happy to Skype you in for things as needed, but there's no good way to
have multiple attendees there 100% of the time. We have no resources
for such things :(.

>> Chris
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 2:29 PM Kendall Nelson <kennelson11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Another- nother thought: You could take a look at what is submitted by project teams closer to the deadline and see if your ideas might fit well with theirs since they are looking for feedback from operators anyway. In the past I have always hoped for more engagement in the forum sessions I've submitted but only ever had one or two operators able to join us.

I have always made a habit of going through other session topics and
scrapping ones of our own that were redundant. For Sydney, I had put
up an FFU session that conflicted with one Arkady proposed. We chose
to combine them and worked together on it. That's how it should be. I
always prefer devs and ops to be in collective sessions as opposed to
silo'd off on their own. That should be what the forum is all about.

-Erik