[openstack-dev] [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Feb 27 17:44:11 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-28 02:08:37 +0900 (+0900), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> Main point is, it's all happening together in stein :), migration
> of LTS distro, mixed of legacy and zuulv3 jobs. Maybe from next
> cycle (or when we will have new dtiro), it will be easy to migrate
> the latest distro when all jobs are zuul v3 native and counting
> the all python 3 versions we need to support as per resolution.

Well, to be fair Zuul v3 job migration has been happening over the
course of the past several cycles. I'd love to be able to say that
1.5 years is enough warning and any teams that don't have enough
understanding of the new system and their existing jobs to have
rewritten them in that time should probably just stop running those
jobs instead because they're more of a liability than a benefit. I'm
sure that's not a popular view for many, however, so I doubt it's
what's actually going to happen.

> But yes, let's keep the py35 testing until we move all integration
> jobs to bionic.

This is less of a question of Python3.5 testing in a vacuum and more
a question of platform-specific system interfaces and dependencies.
Retaining py35 unit tests does little to ensure that you won't break
DevStack on platforms which have Python3.5 as their default Python3
interpreter. If that's the driving concern, then projects need to
continue running DevStack jobs on both platforms until all projects
have added equivalent jobs on the newer platform. As we saw last
time (in the Trusty to Xenial transition), projects who were still
gating on integration tests for the old platform got wedged by
projects who had switched to only gating their integration tests on
the new platform even though they were both using Python2.7 (so it
had nothing to do with dropping support for older Python
interpreters).
--
Jeremy Stanley