[openstack-dev] [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Feb 27 17:07:44 UTC 2019

On 2/27/19 10:36 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2019-02-27 11:23:19 -0500 (-0500), Zane Bitter wrote:
> [...]
>> the resolution says we should unit test "[e]ach Python 3 version
>> that was still used in any integration tests at the beginning of the
>> development cycle"
> [...]
>
> Now I'm getting worried that the phrasing we settled on is leading
> to misinterpretation. The entire point, I thought, was that we
> decide at the beginning of the development cycle on which platforms
> we're testing, and so choose the most recent releases of those LTS
> distros. If some projects were still running jobs on an earlier
> platform at the start of the cycle, I don't think we need to be
> stuck maintaining that testing. The beginning of the cycle is the
> point at which it's safe for them to switch to the agreed-upon
> current platform for our upcoming release under development.

Part of the problem is that this didn't actually happen at the beginning
of the cycle. The current plan is not to finish the legacy job migration
until Apr. 1[0], which means until then projects may have a dependency
on py35.

I'm not sure whether this necessarily indicates that the resolution is
flawed though - we only update the distro for functional tests once
every couple of years, and in this case we didn't adopt the resolution
until partway through the cycle so we got a late start. On the other
hand, it sounds like the distro migration is going to take around 4
months total (started in Dec., ending early April). Maybe expecting
everyone to be on the current distro release right at the start of the
cycle is overly ambitious?

0: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/legacy-job-bionic