[placement][nova] What is the plan for tracking placement blueprints post-extraction?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Feb 26 21:34:54 UTC 2019

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 2/25/2019 5:53 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
>> So, to take it back to Matt's question, my opinion is: Let's let
>> existing stuff run its course to the end of the cycle, decide
>> together how and when we want to implement storyboard.
>
> FWIW I agree with this. I'm fine with no separate specs repo or core team. I
> do, however, think that having some tracking tool is important for project
> management to get an idea of what is approved for a release and what is left
> (and what was completed). Etherpads are not kanban boards nor are they
> indexed by search engines so they are fine for notes and such but not great
> for long-term documentation or tracking.

I've gone head and proposed [1] putting all four of placement,
os-traits, os-resource-classes and osc-placement under storyboard,
but not yet start any migrations. The commit message on there has
an explanation but to recapitulate:

* There's stuff we'd like to start tracking, storyboard seems a good
   place to remember those things.

* It's safe to do migrations later.

* We have some stuff (e.g., blueprints) that we're already tracking
   in nova's launchpad and don't really care to carry over.

* The updating of bugs from gerrit changes is no longer working for
   these projects, probably because of acl changes since somewhere in
   the past few months.

The review (and the above) is a proposal: If you don't like it, say
so, we'll figure something out. However, no matter what we do and
how much care we take to make sure people are not confused through
this transition and that history is preserved, some stuff will get
dropped and we're going to have to, as humans, pay extra attention
and do a bit of extra work to keep everything, including ourselves,
happy.

We'll need to decide what to do about new bugs relatively soon but
that doesn't have to be in lock step with this change.

Thoughts?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/639445