[tc][election] campaign question: team approval criteria

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 20:39:12 UTC 2019

On 20/02/19 12:58 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> One of the key responsibilities of the Technical Committee is still
> evaluating projects and teams that want to become official OpenStack
> projects. The Foundation Open Infrastructure Project approval process
> has recently produced a different set of criteria for the Board to use
> for approving projects [1] than the TC uses for approving teams [2].

This is an apples-to-oranges comparison, because if the OIP criteria
were to be applied to OpenStack, they'd be applied to it as a whole.

There's actually not that much difference though, except for the last
point about a diversified developer base with active engagement from
users &c. The OpenStack project as a whole has that but we don't require
individual (sub)projects to do that to become official.

> What parts, if any, of the OIP approval criteria do you think should
> apply to OpenStack teams?

At the moment, only the parts that already apply (like e.g. requiring
open development).

> What other changes, if any, would you propose to the official team
> approval process or criteria? Are we asking the right questions and
> setting the minimum requirements high enough? Are there any criteria
> that are too hard to meet?

So there's always a chicken-and-egg tradeoff where ideally we'd only
take projects with lots of people working on them, but lots of people
only want to work on projects that are official. At the moment, we've
decided to err on the side of letting projects in. There may be a time
when that's no longer appropriate, but for now it seems fine.

I am pleased that we now have the Vision for OpenStack Clouds document
to refer to when dealing with applications. The idea behind that is not
only that it gives us better guidance on how to vote, but also that it
telegraphs where there might be gaps in the offering in which we would
welcome new projects, and encourages prospective projects that might be
outside of the vision to engage with us earlier. We will see over the
next little while how that plays out in practice.

cheers,
Zane.