[placement] zuul job dependencies for greater good?

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Feb 26 16:35:38 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019, at 3:04 AM, Sean Mooney wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-02-25 at 19:42 -0500, Clark Boylan wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 25, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Ben Nemec wrote:
> > >

> > snip
> >
> > > That said, I wouldn't push too hard in either direction until someone
> > > crunched the numbers and figured out how much time it would have saved
> > > to not run long tests on patch sets with failing unit tests. I feel like
> > > it's probably possible to figure that out, and if so then we should do
> > > it before making any big decisions on this.
> >
> clark this sound like a interesting topic to dig into in person at the
> ptg/fourm.
> do you think we could do two things in parallel.
> 1 find a slot maybe in the infra track to discuss this.
> 2 can we create a new "fast-check" pipeline in zuul so we can do some
> experiment
>
> if we have a second pipeline with almost identical trrigers we can
> propose in tree job
> changes and not merge them and experiment with how this might work.
> i can submit a patch to do that to the project-config repo but wanted
> to check on the ml first.
>
> again to be clear my suggestion for an experiment it to modify the gate
> jobs to require approval
> from zuul in both the check and fast check pipeline and kick off job in
> both pipeline in parallel
> so inially the check pipeline jobs would not be condtional on the
> fast-check pipeline jobs.

Currently zuul depends on the Gerrit vote data to determine if check has been satisfied for gating requirements. Zuul's verification voting options are currently [-2,-1,0,1,2] with +/-1 for check and +/-2 for gate. Where this gets complicated is how do you resolve different values from different check pipelines, and how do you keep them from racing on updates. This type of setup likely requires a new type of pipeline in zuul that can coordinate with another pipeline to ensure accurate vote posting.

Another approach may be to update zuul's reporting capabilities to report intermediate results without votes. That said, is there something that the dashboard is failing to do that this would address? At any time you should be able to check the zuul dashboard for an up to date status of your in progress jobs.