[placement] zuul job dependencies for greater good?

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Feb 25 20:50:53 UTC 2019

On 2/25/19 2:36 PM, Eric Fried wrote:
> -1 to serializing jobs with stop-on-first-failure. Human time (having to
> iterate fixes one failed job at a time) is more valuable than computer
> time. That's why we make computers. If you want quick feedback on
> fast-running jobs (that are running in parallel with slower-running
> jobs), zuul.o.o is available and easy to use.

In general I agree with this sentiment. However, I do think there comes
a point where we'd be penny-wise and pound-foolish. If we're talking
about 5 minute unit test jobs I'm not sure how much human time you're
actually losing by serializing behind them, but you may be saving
significant amounts of computer time. If we're talking about sufficient
gains in gate throughput it might be worth it to lose 5 minutes here or
there and in other cases save a couple of hours by not waiting in a long
queue behind jobs on patches that are unmergeable anyway.

That said, I wouldn't push too hard in either direction until someone
crunched the numbers and figured out how much time it would have saved
to not run long tests on patch sets with failing unit tests. I feel like
it's probably possible to figure that out, and if so then we should do
it before making any big decisions on this.