[tc][election] campaign question: team approval criteria

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Feb 25 14:09:59 UTC 2019

Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> writes:

> One of the key responsibilities of the Technical Committee is still
> evaluating projects and teams that want to become official OpenStack
> projects. The Foundation Open Infrastructure Project approval process
> has recently produced a different set of criteria for the Board to use
> for approving projects [1] than the TC uses for approving teams [2].
>
> What parts, if any, of the OIP approval criteria do you think should
> apply to OpenStack teams?
>
> What other changes, if any, would you propose to the official team
> approval process or criteria? Are we asking the right questions and
> setting the minimum requirements high enough? Are there any criteria
> that are too hard to meet?
>
> How would you apply those rule changes to existing teams?
>
> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2019-February/002708.html
> [2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/new-projects-requirements.html
> --
> Doug

One of the criteria that caught my eye as especially interesting was
that a project must complete at least one release before being
accepted. We've debated that rule in the past, and always come down on
the side encouraging new projects by accepting them early. I wonder if
it's time to reconsider that, and perhaps to start thinking hard about
projects that don't release after they are approved.

Thoughts?

--
Doug