[tc][election] New series of campaign questions

Alexandra Settle a.settle at outlook.com
Mon Feb 25 13:41:18 UTC 2019

Well hello good friend! esponses inline :)

Apologies to all but I've stopped wrapping my answers because they were
coming through to the list formatted in the most odd ways. Working on it.

On 25/02/2019 09:28, Jean-Philippe Evrard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here are my questions for the candidates. Keep in mind some might overlap with existing questions, so I would expect a little different answer there than what was said. Most questions are intentionally controversial and non-strategic, so please play this spiritual game openly as much as you can (no hard feelings!).
Never! Always good vibes :)

> The objective for me with those questions is not to corner you/force you implement x if you were elected (that would be using my TC hat for asking you questions, which I believe would be wrong), but instead have a glimpse on your mindset (which is important for me as an individual member in OpenStack). It's more like the "magic wand" questions. After this long introduction, here is my volley of questions.
>
> A) In a world where "general" OpenStack issues/features are solved through community goals, do you think the TC should focus on "less interesting" technical issues across projects, like tech debt reduction? Or at the opposite, do you think the TC should tackle the hardest OpenStack wide problems?

Very interesting question. To answer directly: I believe the TC should
focus on both - but it's not that simple.

I believe, first and foremost, that technical debt is a huge issue that
we sweep under the carpet, much like the original issues themselves that
have been rolled up into technical debt, and it's a weird
self-perpetuating cycle. Everyone actively works from cycle-to-cycle to
better the project and the product, clearing out the backlog and
focusing on new improvements - but it has been very easy in the past to
avoid smaller, as you say, "less interesting" issues because it's not
new and exciting. But this is a lot of what OpenStack is now - we're a
stable product. While the TC can and should focus on helping guide
discussions and decisions on the hard OpenStack-wide issues (the TC is
elected to have the experience to do so), I do believe a lot of the
focus should be around smaller issues to avoid the little things being
swept under the carpet and forgotten about.

> B) Do you think the TC must check and actively follow all the official projects' health and activities? Why?

Health is key. I do believe we are all in a weird transition phase;
evolving from being the newest, hottest, open source product on the
market to a stable, reliable product that people flock towards to
actively work on. Project activity is important, but we have set up a
system of PTLs and liaisons that monitor that activity and work with the
TC to inform of any major changes. As I said above, the TC should be
looking at the smaller aspects of a project, and health is often
considered one of those.

> C) Do you think the TC's role is to "empower" project and PTLs? If yes, how do you think the TC can help those? If no, do you think it would be the other way around, with PTLs empowering the TC to achieve more? How and why?

Empowerment is an interesting word - and I'm unsure if you used it
deliberately or not - because the term refers to an increase in
autonomy. Defining a word is very 1990's wedding speech stereotype
(sorry sorry), but it's important to note in this case. There has in the
past, and now, been a lot of discussion surrounding the TC's role and
how much they empower teams vs. the TC making key decisions on behalf of
everyone else. Anyway back on track - as Sylvain rightly pointed out,
this question is entirely pertinent to the size of a team. I find this
particularly interesting, having been the documentation PTL that was
empowered by the TC.

This relationship can 100% go two ways and I believe it does now. You
asked above if the TC must check and actively follow all the official
project's health and activities. In my experience, it was up to me as
PTL to reach out to the TC and inform them of the documentation team's
situation, like many have done before me. By informing them of the
team's current situation, I was able to engage in a consistent dialog
with the TC to get proper help to ensure the project did not die in a
tire fire (like it very nearly did - thank you everyone!).

> D) Do you think the community goals should be converted to a "backlog"of time constrained OpenStack "projects", instead of being constrained per cycle? (with the ability to align some goals with releasing when necessary)

I'll be honest - no. I think this links back up to your point earlier;
backlogs can lead to technical debt. Placing time restrictions seem just
that, restrictive, but it helps encourage teams to ensure they have met
minimum OpenStack-wide requirements per-cycle. Perhaps these time
restrictions are increased, but I do not believe they should be erased
and placed into a backlog-style bucket of "To do's".

However, it has been evident in the past (and my experience) that
project teams cannot complete all the community goals per-cycle because
of resource constraints, or an unexplained bug that takes up the whole
cycle. Perhaps this means that evaluation of resources per team, per the
amount of work a community goal would take for a larger/smaller team
should occur each cycle.

> E) Do you think we should abandon projects' ML tags/IRC channels, to replace them by focus areas? For example, having [storage] to group people from [cinder] or [manila]. Do you think that would help new contributors, or communication in the community?

Again, I'll be honest: No. Do I think that potentially generalising our
tags could be more helpful to new comers? Absolutely. But I see nothing
wrong with adding [storage] to our preexisting tags rather than
replacing. We have generic channels such as #openstack-dev and
#openstack-doc for newbies to get involved. And we now have the First
Contact SIG which I have noticed do an amazing job at picking up new
comers out of the lists and point them in the right direction.

> G) What do you think of the elections process for the TC? Do you think it is good enough to gather a team to work on hard problems? Or do you think electing person per person have an opposite effect, highlighting individuals versus a common program/shared objectives? Corollary: Do you think we should now elect TC members by groups (of 2 or 3 persons for example), so that we would highlight their program vs highlight individual ideas/qualities?

I was thinking about this the other day. It's an election, like all
elections, and I think if we're all a bit honest with ourselves the
results have more to do with the respect garnered in the community
(maybe by something you implemented) and how well you're known than it
is about your technical prowess. I don't believe changing the election
or group format will change the outcome.

I am standing for election because I believe there need to be new voices
in the room that stand outside the "development" mindset and provide a
different perspective to OpenStack-wide issues. Not every challenge that
OpenStack faces is about RabbitMQ and how much we like it, there are a
lot of social, cultural, and communication issues that impact on
technical decisions that need to be dealt with and I hope to be that
person bringing that voice.

> Thanks for your patience, and thanks for your application!
>
> Regards,
> Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)
Happy Monday!