[nova][neutron][os-vif] upcoming release of os-vif

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 12:22:19 UTC 2019

hi everyone.

As many people know the non-client lib freeze is thursday the 28th
so it is time to do the final os-vif release for stein.

there are a number of pending patches to os-vif
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/os-vif+status:open+branch:master

while i think we can merge several of them i have sorted them into groups below.

required:
remove use of brctl from vif_plug_linux_bridge https://review.openstack.org/636822
remove use of brctl from vif_plug_linux_bridge https://review.openstack.org/636821

prefer to merge:
Add native implementation OVSDB API https://review.openstack.org/482226
make functional tests run on python 3 https://review.openstack.org/638053

nice to have:
modify functional base.py to allow using vscode https://review.openstack.org/638058
docs: Add API docs for VIF types https://review.openstack.org/637009
doc: Use sphinx.ext.todo for profile, datapath offload types https://review.openstack.org/638405
docs: Start using sphinx.ext.autodoc for VIF types https://review.openstack.org/638404
docs: Add API docs for profile, datapath offload types https://review.openstack.org/638395

defer:
Add 'SUPPORT_BW_CONFIG' option to VIFs https://review.openstack.org/636933

the required patches are makeing there way though the gate.
i would hope we can merge most of the patches in the prefer and nice to have buckets
but my intent is to propose a patch to the release repo tonight with the head of master proably
at or after 20:00 UTC which will be around noon PST. that will give eu and us
folks that want to review these changes a resonably amount of time.

ideally we can try and get the release out early tommorow. once that is done os-vif will go into a
a feature freeze until RC1 is released of nova and neutron at which point it will unfreeze.
once i submit the patch for the release until thursday i would like to do a full code freeze on os-vif
so that if there are any bugs that show up in the gate we can fix those without accepting any other changes.
once we pass the non-client lib freeze on thrusday non feature patches such as docs changes or testing changes
are fine but features should wait to RC1.

regards
sean