[tc][election] New series of campaign questions

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Mon Feb 25 09:28:05 UTC 2019

Hello,

Here are my questions for the candidates. Keep in mind some might overlap with existing questions, so I would expect a little different answer there than what was said. Most questions are intentionally controversial and non-strategic, so please play this spiritual game openly as much as you can (no hard feelings!).

The objective for me with those questions is not to corner you/force you implement x if you were elected (that would be using my TC hat for asking you questions, which I believe would be wrong), but instead have a glimpse on your mindset (which is important for me as an individual member in OpenStack). It's more like the "magic wand" questions. After this long introduction, here is my volley of questions.

A) In a world where "general" OpenStack issues/features are solved through community goals, do you think the TC should focus on "less interesting" technical issues across projects, like tech debt reduction? Or at the opposite, do you think the TC should tackle the hardest OpenStack wide problems?

B) Do you think the TC must check and actively follow all the official projects' health and activities? Why?

C) Do you think the TC's role is to "empower" project and PTLs? If yes, how do you think the TC can help those? If no, do you think it would be the other way around, with PTLs empowering the TC to achieve more? How and why?

D) Do you think the community goals should be converted to a "backlog"of time constrained OpenStack "projects", instead of being constrained per cycle? (with the ability to align some goals with releasing when necessary)

E) Do you think we should abandon projects' ML tags/IRC channels, to replace them by focus areas? For example, having [storage] to group people from [cinder] or [manila]. Do you think that would help new contributors, or communication in the community?

F) There can be multiple years between a "user desired feature across OpenStack projects", and its actual implementation through the community goals. How do you think we can improve?

G) What do you think of the elections process for the TC? Do you think it is good enough to gather a team to work on hard problems? Or do you think electing person per person have an opposite effect, highlighting individuals versus a common program/shared objectives? Corollary: Do you think we should now elect TC members by groups (of 2 or 3 persons for example), so that we would highlight their program vs highlight individual ideas/qualities?

Thanks for your patience, and thanks for your application!

Regards,
Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)