[baremetal-sig] Bare metal white paper (volunteers needed)

Chris Hoge chris at openstack.org
Fri Feb 22 20:30:04 UTC 2019

One of the first goals of the Bare Metal SIG will be to publish a white
paper for the Denver Open Infrastructure Summit, similar to the document
we produced last year for container integrations. We're looking for
volunteers to help organize and write the paper. I've started a planning
etherpad with a basic time-line and proposed outline:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/bare-metal-whitepaper

Time line:
* February 22: White paper Kick Off
    Feedback from SIG on proposed outline, content, and schedule
* March 4: High-level outline and content assignments
    Writing begins with weekly check-ins on progress and assistance
* March 25: Initial content completed
    Design requests for figures and diagrams
    Editing and revisions on content for length, style, and correctness
* April 8: Final copy to design and web teams for layout and publication
* April 29: Publication at Open Infrastructure Summit, Denver

Proposed Outline:
* Introduction
* High Level Overview of Bare Metal provisioning
* Integrations into management tools
* Case Studies
* Conclusion
* Glossary
* Authors

If we're going to have a successful launch for the summit, we'll need to
organize writing efforts around this. Right now we need volunteers to
help write the different sections of the document, as well as massage the
outline into its final form. In particular we need deployers and users to
write a variety of case studies to demonstrate the flexibility and power
of Ironic in production.

I'd like to get some feedback on the outline in the mailing list, and
also have volunteers sign up for different parts of the paper in the
planning etherpad. I've also started writing some introduction text to
help everyone get started on thinking about how to frame this work in a
compelling way.

Thanks, and I'm excited to get started on this work with everyone.

-Chris