[nova][dev] Any VMware resource pool and shares kind of feature available in openstack nova?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 15:06:35 UTC 2019

On 2/22/2019 2:46 AM, Sanjay K wrote:
> I will define/derive priority based on the which sub network the VM
> belongs to - mostly Production or Development. From this, the Prod VMs
> will have higher resource allocation criteria than other normal VMs and
> these can be calculated at runtime when a VM is also rebooted like how
> VMware resource pools and shares features work.

It sounds like a weigher in scheduling isn't appropriate for your use
case then, because weighers in scheduling are meant to weigh compute
hosts once they have been filtered. It sounds like you're trying to
prioritize which VMs will get built, which sounds more like a
pre-emptible/spot instances use case [1][2].

As for VMware resource pools and shares features, I don't know anything
about those since I'm not a vCenter user. Maybe someone more worldly,
like Jay Pipes, can chime in here.

[1]
https://www.openstack.org/videos/summits/berlin-2018/science-demonstrations-preemptible-instances-at-cern-and-bare-metal-containers-for-hpc-at-ska
[2]