[tc][election] TC Candidacy

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Thu Feb 21 17:28:35 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I realised I missed this important part of the election
process - sending it to the list.

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have been a member of the TC for a a year now, and I would like to
> renominate myself for another term on the TC. I have been working on OpenStack
> (mainly in Desigate - the DNS as a Service project) since Havana, which is when
> I started to get involved in the work of Technical Committee, for the Designate
> Incubation application.
>
> I have been PTL for Designate for Mitaka, Newton, Ocata, Queens, Rocky, Stein
> and Train cycles, and a core for a longer period. I believe my experience
> working in a younger, smaller project within OpenStack is still a benefit,
> especially as we add more projects to the OpenStack Foundation (OSF) along
> side the original OpenStack project.
>
> I have spent time recently working on a very large OpenStack cloud in a day to
> operations role, and I think that this experience is important to have on the
> Technical Committee. The experience that a lot of our users have is very
> different to what we may assume, and knowing how end users deal with bugs,
> deployment life cycles and vendors should guide us.
>
> I have been involved in the discussion around the future goals this cycle, and
> I would like to try and keep driving this forward. I see goals as a real,
> tangible change that the TC can drive that helps the community as a whole.
>
> I think the experience I have had (from both an operator perspective, and as
> the PTL of a small project that is struggling with contributor levels) is
> valuable.
>
> I do think cycling out members of the TC is important, but I think that with
> the turn over we have is at a good level, and that I can still provide a fresh
> out look on the TC.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Graham

Additionally, I did want to address something that a few people have
been asking about - my new employment :)

Yes - I am no longer working for a company that has ties (direct or
otherwise) to OpenStack. However they do have a strong open source
culture, and are completely supportive of me spending some of my time
on OpenStack and the TC.

I really enjoy working with this community, and don't see myself going
anywhere in the near or medium term.

My new role has components in the same area (infrastructure as a
service) , and I think the insight I will be gaining from this work will
definitely benifit OpenStack, combined with my history of involvement
and experience running production OpenStack clouds.

I am happy to talk to anyone who has any concerns about this, ping me on
IRC (mugsie), gr at ham.ie or reply to this thread.

Thanks for your attention, and please remember to vote!

- Graham