[release] Release countdown for week R-6, February 25 - March 1

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Feb 21 16:48:52 UTC 2019

Some important deadlines in this week's edition as we get closer to the end of
the cycle. PTLs and release liaisons, please read through and make sure you are
tracking things as we start to get close to the end of Stein.

Development Focus
-----------------

Non-client library work should be wrapping up for this weeks freeze. Any
changes that will require client library changes should get some focus to make
sure anything needed there is merged by the client library freeze on March 7.
Feature freeze is also coming up with the Stein-3 milestone on March 7.

General Information
-------------------

We are now getting close to the end of the cycle. The non-client library
(typically any lib other than the "python-$PROJECTclient" deliverables)
deadline is February 28, followed quickly the next Thursday with the final
client library release. Releases for critical fixes will be allowed after this
point, but we will be much more restrictive about what is allowed if there are
more lib release requests after this point. Please keep this in mind.

When requesting these library releases, you should also include the stable
branching request with the review (as an example, see the "branches" section
here:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/releases/tree/deliverables/pike/os-brick.yaml#n2)

As we are getting to the point of creating stable/stein branches, this would be
a good point for teams to review membership in their $project-stable-maint
groups. Once the stable/stein branches are cut for a repo, the ability to
approve any necessary backports into those branches for stein will be limited
to the members of that stable team. If there are any questions about stable
policy or stable team membership, please each out in the #openstack-stable
channel.

The following cycle-with-intermediary release model deliverables have not had a
release for Stein yet:

ansible-role-container-registry
ansible-role-openstack-operations
ansible-role-tripleo-modify-image
automaton
blazar-nova
ceilometermiddleware
debtcollector
heat-agents
instack-undercloud
instack
kuryr-libnetwork
mistral-lib
monasca-statsd
monasca-thresh
mox3
murano-agent
networking-baremetal
networking-hyperv
os-client-config
patrole
sahara-extra
tripleo-ansible
tripleo-ipsec

If no release is requested by the teams in the week after the deadline, the
release team will need to force a release from HEAD in order to have a good
point to create stable branches.

Upcoming Deadlines & Dates

Non-client library freeze: February 28
Stein-3 milestone: March 7