[tc] Questions for TC Candidates

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Thu Feb 21 15:25:39 UTC 2019

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 10:02 AM Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> endpoints.
> > >     as an on looker i have mixed feeling about this statement.
> > >     RabbitMQ can have issue at scale but it morstly works when its not
> on fire.
> > >     Would you be advocating building a openstack specific RPC layer
> perhaps
> > >     using keystone as the service registry and a custom http mechanism
> or adopting
> > >     an existing technology like grpc?
> > >
> > >     investigating an alternative RPC backend has come up in the past
> (zeromq and qupid)
> > >     and i think it has merit but im not sure as a comunity creating a
> new RPC framework is
> > >     a project wide effort that openstack need to solve. that said
> zaqar is a thing
> > >     https://docs.openstack.org/zaqar/latest/ if it is good enough for
> our endusers to consume
> > >     perhaps it would be up to the task of being openstack rpc
> transport layer.
> > >
> > >     anyway my main question was would you advocate adoption of an
> exisiting technology
> > >     or creating our own solution if we were to work on this goal as a
> community.
> > >

> > I'll also chime in here since I agree with Mohammed.
> >
> > We're certainly going to have to write software to make this happen.
> Maybe
> > that's a new oslo.messaging driver, maybe it's a new equivalent of that
> layer.
> >
> > But we've re-invented enough software already. This isn't a place where
> we
> > should do it. We should use build on or glue together existing tools to
> build
> > something scalable and relatively simple to operate.
> >
> > Are your mixed feelings about this statement a concern about re-inventing
> > wheels, or about changing an underlying architectural thing at all?
> with re-inventing wheels.
> a new oslo.messaging driver i think would be perfectly fine. that said we
> dont want 50 of them as it will be impossible
> to test and maintain them all.
> my concern would be that even if we deveploped the perfect rpc layer for
> openstack
> ourselves it would be a lot of effort that could have been spent elsewhere.
> developing glue logic to use an alternitiv is much less invasive and
> achievable.
>
> the other thing i woudl say is if im felling pedantinc the fact that we
> have an rpc
> bus is an architecutal question as may in some cases be the perfromce or
> feature set
> the final system provide. but personally i dont see rabbitmq vs grps as an
> architectual
> question at all. the message bus is just an io device. we should be able
> to change
> that io device for another without it martially effecting our
> architecutre. if it does
> we are too tightly coupled to the implementation.

+1. There's some question about our RPC casts that need to be addressed,
but agree in general.

> you can sub out rabbitmq today with qpid or activmq and in the past you
> could use
> zeromq too but rabbit more or less one out over that set of message queue.
> there is also limited support for kafka. kafka is pretty heavy weight as
> is itsio from
> what i have heard so im not sure they would be a good replacement for
> small cloud but i
> belive they are ment to scale well.
>
> grpc and nats are proably the two rabitmq alternative is would personally
> consider but i know
> some projects hack etcd to act as a psudo rpc bus.
> this type of change is something i could see as a comunity goal eventually
> but would like to
> see done with one project first before it got to that point.

Agree with that. I don't want to get into implementation details here. :)

> there is value in useing 1 or 2 rpc buses istead of support many and this
> is the type of change
> i hope would be guided by measurement and community feedback.

100%, the first steps to doing anything like this is to measure performance
today, identify other options,  measure performance on those. This is a
high-effort change, and it'd be crazy to do it without data.

// jim