[tc] Questions for TC Candidates

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 10:48:58 UTC 2019

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 1:54 AM Lance Bragstad <lbragstad at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> the benefits of upgrading frequently.
> 2/ they think upstreaming is difficult. I'm all open to hear the barriers
> they have. For what it's worth, OpenStack invested a lot in mentoring with
> the FirstContact SIG, documentation and Upstream Institute. There will
> probably also be a new program about peer-mentoring and recognition [2] if
> the community agrees with the idea. Honestly, I don't know what do do more.
> If you really can't upstream but care about your production, just take a
> service contract I guess.
>

>> * If you had a magic wand and could inspire and make a single
>>    sweeping architectural or software change across the services,
>>    what would it be? For now, ignore legacy or upgrade concerns.
>>    What role should the TC have in inspiring and driving such
>>    changes?
>>

> Take me as a fool but I don't think the role of the TC is to drive
> architectural decision between projects.
> The TC can help two projects to discuss, the TC can (somehow) help
> moderate between two teams about some architectural concern but certainly
> not be the driver of such change.
>

> Is there a particular reason why you feel this way?
>
> I think the TC is in a great position to have a profound impact on the
> architecture of OpenStack, with a caveat.
>
> I believe if you ask anyone with even a brief history in OpenStack, you'll
> dust up some architectural opinions. For example, Jim and Mohammed have
> already pointed out a bunch in their responses. Another example, Melanie
> and I had a productive discussion today about how restructuring the
> architecture of policy enforcement could significantly improvement
> usability and security [0], which certainly isn't specific to keystone or
> nova. I don't think we have to look very far to find excellent areas for
> improvement. As others have noted, the project is at a point where
> development and hype isn't nearly as intense as it was 4 years ago. While
> contributor numbers, in a way, reflect project stabilization, I also think
> it puts us in a prime position to address some of the architectural pain
> points we've grown to live with over the years. I think we can use the
> opportunity to make services more consistent, giving consumers and users a
> more refined and polished experience, among other benefits.
>
> That said, I certainly think if the TC is to _facilitate_ in architectural
> decisions, it needs to be done in the open and with plenty of communication
> and feedback with the entire community. Similar to the approach we try and
> take with community goals.
>
> I understand there may be a fine line in making decisions of this nature
> at the TC level, but I also think it presents numerous opportunities to
> communicate and focus efforts in a unified direction. I see that
> involvement range from socializing issues to advocating for sponsorship on
> a particular initiative to diving into the problem and helping projects

Hi Lance,
Thanks for your reply and leaving me a chance to clarify my thoughts on a
possible strawman.
I'm not opposed to architectural modifications, and like you mention the
fact that we're past the hype leaves us a good opportunity for revisiting
some crucial cross-project pain points like the ones you mention (and which
I'm fully onboard). For example, I remember some hard talks we had at
Summits about a potential 'Architecture WG' and all the concerns that were
around it.

What I said earlier was that IMHO the TC should not dictate any
architectural changes or be the initiator of important architectural
redesigns (unless I misunderstand the word 'driving' and in this case my
bad). I rather prefer to see the TC to be a facilitator of such initiatives
coming from individuals or projects (in particular given we're not in a
position where we have less resources that can take time to work full-time
on those big changes that are multi-cycle). We sometimes failed in the past
to have such initiatives, but now we have goals we're in a better position
than in the past.
That said, given the nature of goals to be community-wide, I'm open for
discussing other ways to engage architectural redesigns that imply only a
few services (eg. placement and other services that would consume it). We
generally have cross-project sessions at the PTG that help driving those
discussions, but I somehow feel we miss some better way to promote those.
architectural redesigns.

Hoping I answered your concerns.

-Sylvain