[openstack-helm] would like to discuss review turnaround time

Pete Birley petebirley+openstack-dev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 01:13:41 UTC 2019

Hi,

I must apologize for not responding to this sooner. I feel some irony
in that I, and many of the core review team in OpenStack-Helm, never
been that great at OpenStack mailing lists, but are very active on
IRC. To address the email that Jay sent to start this thread I've
attached some comments.

> There are just some example patch sets currently under review stage.
>
> 1. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/603971/ >> this ps has been discussed
> for its contents and scope. Cloud you please add if there is anything else
> we need to do other than wrapping some of commit message?

Last feedback was from myself on the 15th Jan, two weeks before the
date of the email thread that started this conversation - I really
like the PS, and see it has great value for operators of OSH, however,
we really need to gate this, as we do all other components in
OpenStack-Helm infra. Once we have a path there I see no reason not to
merge, as my overly happy +1 wf finger has shown over the last few
weeks.

> 2. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/633456/ >> this is simple fix. how can
> we make core reviewer notice this patch set so that they can quickly view?

This was merged within 48 hours of the initial commit, so I hope had
an acceptable turnaround. Please feel free to add a reviewer via
gerrit to any PS you think would benefit from their eye.

> 3. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/625803/ >> we have been getting
> feedbacks and questions on this patch set, that has been good. but
> round-trip time for the recent comments takes a week or more. because of
> that delay (?), the owner of this patch set needed to rebase this one
> often. Will this kind of case be improved if author engages more on irc
> channel or via mailing list to get feedback rather than relying on gerrit
> reviews?

This PS has indeed suffered from review stagnation, though this also
highlights that we need to rely on more than just the core reviewers
to provide meaningful feedback on patchsets. This PS is quite tricky
to digest, as it touches every chart in the repo, and has changed
direction several times in its lifespan. Here I think both a gentle
nudge via gerrit would provide some assistance.

Moving forward I'll also include announcements of the meeting agenda,
and links to the logs in a weekly email for the project, which should
hopefully allow easier engagement for those that find IRC a less
convenient communication mechanism.

Cheers

Pete