[cinder] questions about release cycles

Ivan Kolodyazhny e0ne at e0ne.info
Tue Feb 19 07:46:01 UTC 2019

Hi Yury,

Please, see my comments inline.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 9:32 AM Kulazhenkov, Yury <Yury.Kulazhenkov at dell.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently maintain VxFlex OS(ScaleIO) cinder driver. Driver require
> some changes to support future VxFlex OS release.
> We want to add this changes to Stein release and if it possible backport
> them to old supported releases.
> I have couple questions:
>   1. Is it still possible to submit patches which extend driver
> functionality in Stein release cycle?
>           If such changes are still possible, then I have another question:
>           I already submitted patch that renames ScaleIO driver to VxFlex
> OS (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/634397/).
>           Is it possible that this patch will be merged during Stein
> release cycle?
>           In other words, I'm interesting, should I prepare "new feature"
> patch based on this "renaming" patch (as patch chain)
>           or it will be better to prepare separate patch based on master
> branch state?

We're about two weeks before Stien-3 milestone [1]. It's a feature freeze
milestone, so it means all features should be merged before it. If you miss
this deadline, these patches will be merged in Train.

> 2. Is it possible to add new driver features (changes for compatibility,
> to be more accurate) for currently supported Openstack releases?
>     Any rules, policy or special workflow for that?Cinder code with
> drivers should stable policy [1]

Cinder code with drivers should stable policy [2], so we can't backport any
driver features to stable branches.

> Thanks,
>
> Yury

[1] https://releases.openstack.org/stein/schedule.html