[tc][election] TC Candidacy

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Sun Feb 17 22:53:34 UTC 2019

Hello again friends,

I'm running again for a second term on the Technical Committee. (For the
record, I don't plan to seek a third term next year.) I've been part of
the OpenStack community since 2012, and as well as a TC member I am also
a core reviewer for Heat and (since very recently) Oslo.

I think of the TC as effectively the 'core reviewer' team for a larger
group of folks who participate in the governance of OpenStack (a group
that I think we should be aiming to expand even further). I'm deeply
grateful to the community for giving me the opportunity to work with
what is a fantastic team of people.

Here's what I've been up to in the past year on the TC:

- I supported Julia's initiative to spread constructive code-review
techniques by distilling some of our annual endless threads on
code-review etiquette into a linkable page in the Project Teams
Guide.[1] A number of people, in one case an entire team, told me that
they'd tweaked their approach to code review after getting ideas from
this document. (This feedback is *much* appreciated by the way, because
from the TC perspective it can be very hard to tell the difference
between achieving lazy consensus and shouting into the void.)

- I wrote the draft of and edited contributions to what became the
Vision for OpenStack Clouds,[2] contacted every affected team to explain
what it meant for them individually, and presented it to the OSF Board
in Berlin for their feedback as well.

- I helped drive the definition of a process for determining which
versions of Python3 should be tested in a release.[3] That should help
us make the transitions smoothly in future, though it unfortunately
started too late for Stein.

- I've been actively engaged with members of the OSF Board on the topic
of the process for adding new Open Infrastructure projects to the
Foundation, by passing on feedback from foundation members and from the
TC's own experience with evaluating project applications, and trying to
publicise the board's position in the community.[4]

It's hard to imagine being able to get any of those done without being a
TC member. As I've written elsewhere,[5] because the TC is the only
project-wide elected body, leading the community to all move in the same
direction is something that cannot happen without the TC. I plan to
continue trying to do that, and encouraging others to do the same.
Thanks for your consideration.

cheers,
Zane.

[1]